Monday, November 28, 2011

An Introduction to Growth - Nicholas and I

'With no company but my own boredom, I began for the first time in my life to look at nature, and to regret that I knew its language as little as I knew Greek.  I became aware of stones, birds, flowers, land, in a new way, and the walking, the swimming, the magnificent climate, the absence of all traffic, ground or air - for there wasn't a single car on the island, there being no roads outside the village, and aeroplanes passed over not once a month - these things made me feel healthier than I had ever felt before. I began to get some sort of harmony between body and mind; or so it seemed.  It was an illusion' (Knowles pg 52/53).

This is one paragraph in the book that I can completely relate to.  It is depicting Nicholas' new opening of the mind by leaving London and moving to Greece which presents a change of scenery, one he is not normally used to.  He has just left Alison back in London so he is back to being lonely in an entirely new world which can only offer new adventures he would not have been offered before.  This reminds me of myself, my journey from growing up and graduating high school in California to jumping instantly into the lifestyles of Montana, two completely different lifestyles.  Coming from a big city, I was not used to this enormous amount of nature and outdoor activities, let alone the different personalities that I was bound to meet.  Initially, I felt life was much easier than it actually was, as if it was already planned out and was supposed to be handed over to me on a silver platter, as though I was just going through the expected notions of me.  It wasn't until I came to this new land, not knowing anybody or what to expect by starting a new school, that I realized I am the one controlling my life; nothing is simply handed over, I must learn and change my way of living to ultimately grow as a person and develop my personality to better myself.  I can clearly see that my friends that stayed home have grown as well, but through my experience I was forced to meet new people, to express myself in a way that allow me to be most comfortable with where I am in life, to be responsible and grow into the adult that is ultimately expected.  But the the one line within Knowles' paragraph that really stood out to me was the final submission, 'it was an illusion'.  I did not need to come to Montana to become the person I am today.  I agree that it provided an experience like no other that none of my friends back home have gone through and I certainly grew from my past 4 years in being in this new land, but all it really was is a new location, one I was not used to.  It will be forever remembered, but rather than my location - only I can be the true depiction of me, myself and I.
vs.

No comments:

Post a Comment