Thursday, December 1, 2011

Realization of Life and Mythology

As the group presentations have come to an end, it appears that the entire class has gained a valuable interpretation of how mythology has taken its place in the worlds past, present and ultimate future.  On the first day of class, I found myself a little weary on the understanding of mythologies role in the world, thinking of it more as a religion rather than inspiration, but through the knowledge I have gained thanks to Mr. Sexson my eyes have been opened to the reality that most successful novels, films, and TV shows actually relate their themes, characters and actions depicted to mythological characters and their stories.  I originally believed that this would be a daunting process in relating an everyday story to previous mythological stories until I was presented with the task of creating my own short story depicting the actions of the hero Jason and altering his stories to that of a believable journey presented in todays world.  Although my new story did not seem as magical or inspiring, the transformation between the two was rather easy and seemed much more believable.  It was simply a connection of proceeding on a quest to achieve a certain purpose which inevitably introduces new characters and objectives which alter the story, this being a common trait in almost all mythological stories.  After such an assignment, I find it much easier to distinguish the similarities between epic mythological stories to the lives presented in my everyday life providing me with an ultimate truth: life is mythological and is bound to continue for an eternity.

No comments:

Post a Comment