Thursday, December 15, 2011

All that is past possesses our present

"All that is past possesses our present", The Magus, pg 311

This simple quotation explains an extreme truth in that everybody is made up of their past.  Without our past, we would not know who we really are or where we are going in life.  When I think of my own past, I think of where I've lived, the friends I've made, my family, all my personal and heartfelt experiences I've had either good or bad, and how all of these have had a deep impact on my life and how it has lead me down the path to where I am today.  Without these elements in my life, I would be a completely different person: I would lose the traits that I have gained such as being outgoing, humorous, caring or even respectful. I am extremely thankful for everything that has occurred in my past fore it has made me the smiling and caring friend, son, nephew and student that I currently am.  Of course I have made my share of questionable decisions which may not have been the smartest, but I am not afraid to admit that I regret nothing, I wouldn't change anything about my past for the world.  'All that is past possesses our present' is the perfect explanation of how we have become.  It is not terrible to recollect the memories of our younger days, but it is extremely harmful to dwell on the decisions we have made. Suffering over the past does not allow for further development, it prevents us from growing and ties us down to that moment of time.  If one were to learn any lesson from this, it would be that a person carries their past around with them all of the time, but they must only focus on the present and the future.

No comments:

Post a Comment